Volleyball Goes 3-0 to Sweep Siena Tournament

For the Cornell volleyball team, this weekend was business as usual.

The Red won the Siena Invitational, going 3-0 and pushing its record to 7-3 on the season.

Senior middle blocker Robin Moore was named the most valuable player of the Invitational. Freshman Debbie Quibell was another Cornellian on the all-tournament team.

The Red defeated Wagner on Friday 3-0 (15-3, 15-9, 15-7) to get off on the right foot.

Moore and junior Jennifer Borncamp led the team with 10 kills a piece. Moore also had five blocks and seven digs in the match, and hit an impressive .400.

Head coach Christie Jackson played almost the entire team on Friday, giving freshman Ashley Stover a chance to knock down seven kills and lead the team by hitting .545.

On Saturday, the Red beat Albany and the host school in 3-1 matches.

Cornell dropped the first game to Albany, before shutting out the school in the second contest and coasting to the victory.

Moore led the way with 15 kills, despite playing only three of the four games. Quibell had a baker’s dozen of kills and digs, while Stover added 12 kills.

In the last match, Moore and Quibell each garnered double-doubles. Quibell had 16 kills and 14 digs, while Moore had 10 kills and 20 digs.

Freshman Rachel Rice was the assist leader for the Red, recording 56 against Siena and 40 against Albany.

The Red will play St. Peters this Friday before opening league play against Columbia next Saturday.

Archived article by J.V. Anderton