Sprint Offense Finally Strikes

The Cornell sprint football team finally got on the board.

In a big way.

The Red scored its first points of the season en route to its first win of the season, 16-13 over Princeton in overtime.

The Tigers had the advantage early in the game, as it scored all of its points by the half, and shut down the Cornell (1-1, 0-0 CSFL) offense.

Princeton got on the scoreboard first when quarterback Geoff Gasperini found Ki Moon in the endzone from eight yards out with 8:09 to play in the opening quarter. Moon, who doubles as the team’s kicker, booted in the extra point.

Matt Hall of the Tigers put his team up 13, when he got outside on the right end and beat the Red down the sideline for a 27-yard score in the second quarter. However, Moon missed the kick to keep Cornell down only 13.

The opening of the second half was a battle of field position, with Cornell coming out on top thanks to freshman punter Henry Kim. He trapped the Tigers inside their own 10 yard-line. Just two plays later, Gasperini fumbled on the option pitch, and senior defensive back Bo Sangosanya recovered the ball in the endzone, putting the home team on the board. Freshman kicker Evan Andrews was unable to convert the point-after.

In the fourh quarter, the Red offense was finally able to punch through the Princeton defense, scoring a touchdown with 8:35 to play in regulation. Sophomore running back Charlie Tam crossed the goal-line on a four-yard jaunt, and this time, Andrews was good.

The second half was dominated by the Red’s defense, as the Tigers managed only one first down after intermission. Senior tri-captain Imad Baggar led the way with an interception, 15 tackles and a blocked punt. Sophomore defensive back Adam Romeiser was also key, as he made two picks.

Princeton was unable to convert in the extra session, as Cornell’s defense forced the Tigers to attempt a 35-yard field goal.

Cornell didn’t waste its chance, as Andrews nailed the 26-yard field goal, giving the Red the victory.

Cornell will next play in two weeks when it hosts Navy on Schoellkopf Field on Friday, Oct. 13.

Archived article by J.V. Anderton