M. Hockey Downs Waterloo

With the Lynah Faithful bellowing “USA! USA!”, the Cornell men’s ice hockey team won the border war against the University of Waterloo (Ont.), 4-3, on Saturday night in its only exhibition game of the season.

Despite falling behind late in the first period, the Red clawed its way back into the game, using a barrage of 54 shots on goal to continuously keep the Warriors’ defense on its toes.

Things didn’t start off too rosy for Cornell.

A little more than 10 minutes into the first period, the Red earned a 5-on-3 power play. And while Cornell managed to flood the Warriors’ net with blue-line shots, Waterloo netminder Patrick Herman bailed out his defense repeatedly and kept the Red off the scoreboard.

“The power play did exactly what we preached — that is, to shoot the puck a lot,” head coach Mike Schafer ’86 said. “We had some great opportunities, and I thought their [goalie] played very, very well.”

While Herman stone-walled all of the Red’s 17 shots in the first, Waterloo, on the other scored on its only shot of the period. Brett Turner put the puck past Cornell goalie Chris Gartman at 14:56.

But Cornell quickly broke through at the outset of the second period. 58 seconds in, junior Krzysztof Weickowski pounded home a rebound shot to tie the game at 1-1.

“Our guys kept plugging away, and they knew [a goal] was eventually going to come,” Schafer explained. “I thought we did a good job in the second period of getting the puck to the net and capitalizing on some rebounds.”

Less than three minutes later, sophomore forward Matt McRae fielded a crisp pass from sophomore Stephen B