Booters Face Army

In the spirit of Halloween, the men’s soccer teams from Army and Cornell will be trick or treating with each other this year on Berman Field tonight at 7 p.m. However, the Red hopes to be doing most of the tricking and then treating itself to a second straight victory.

The team comes off a miraculous double-overtime win over the Princeton Tigers on Saturday. Senior Richard Stimpson broke the scoreless tie with a brilliant goal.

Coach Bryan Scales was pleased with the improved defense. After giving up a combined eleven goals over three games, the defense held Princeton scoreless.

“Good individual defending leads to good collective defending,” Scales said.

With a newly solidified defense, the goaltender issue still remains a question. Though both sophomore goaltenders Andrew Gordon and Doug Allan played admirably on Saturday, the distinction between the two is negligible and this makes for a difficult situation for Scales. Whichever netminder is called to duty today will be ready to respond with a strong performance.

A big loss for the Red is its freshman midfielder Colin Nevison. He has been a key contributor, but he is sidelined due to to a nagging hip injury and a bad cold. The team will miss his speed and passing dexterity.

Though he will be sidelined, expect to see this warrior on the bench rooting his team on.

With a win today, the Red could get back to a .500 winning percentage. Cornell looks even up its record and continue its winning ways against this non-league opponent.

Archived article by Jason Skolnik