M.Soccer Hosts Green

With three games left in the men’s soccer season, Cornell has a chance to finish on a high note. It will face Dartmouth in an Ivy League showdown tomorrow at 4 p.m. on Berman Field.

After Tuesday’s stunning 6-0 victory over Army, momentum is with the Big Red. Senior midfielder Jay Rosen led the scoring barrage with three goals and one assist.

“Jay has been very good for us this year,” head coach Bryan Scales said. “He has been especially good for us the last two years.”

Senior Adam Skumawitz also had a monstrous game, with one goal and three assists, giving him a total of 22 points. This makes him the top scorer in the Ivies, and giving him a strong chance to earn his second Ivy League Player of the Week award.

“Skumawitz has been playing very professionally,” Scales said. “He and the rest of the guys have been moving the ball quickly and are not slowing the tempo of the game.”

Though the offense has been solid as of late, the goaltender situation still remains a question. In Tuesday’s game, sophomore Doug Allan fractured his nose. Allan practiced yesterday with a nose guard, but was hit in the nose, leading to excessive bleeding and requiring Allan to visit an Ears, Nose and Throat specialist. The ENT will make a decision as to whether Allan will be cleared to play on Saturday.

Fellow sophomore keeper Andrew Gordon is also on the injured reserve with a dislocated shoulder. So if the ENT does not clear Allan to play, sophomore Carlos Rodriguez will take over the helm.

“If Rodriguez plays, I am confident that he will play well,” Scales said.

In addition to the two top goaltenders down with injury, freshman sensation Colin Nevison might be lost for the season with a hip flexor injury. Nevison has been getting daily treatment for this recurring injury, but it might not be healed until after the season.

The Red will have its hands full with Dartmouth. The Big Green have defeated Princeton, Harvard and Penn and will be shooting for the Ivy title. Still, the booters look to play the spoiler’s role – beating Dartmouth would kill the Big Green’s shot at the title, and Brown would take the crown.

Archived article by Jason Skolnik