Halperin Wins Regional Crown

Mr. Reliable, senior tri-captain Mike Halperin, had a straight-set victory over Jamie Gresh of Penn State, 6-3, 6-4 in the finals of the ITA Eastern Regional Tennis Singles Championships yesterday on the campus of Virginia Tech University in Blacksburg, Va.

The win earned Halperin a berth in the 2001 Rolex National Intercollegiate Indoor Championship, which will be held on Feb. 1-4 in Dallas, Texas.

The competition attracted the best collegiate tennis players on the east coast. As prime example of his dominance throughout the fall season, Halperin zipped through the tournament without losing a single set.

In the first round, Steve Prisco of Massachusetts could only push him to a tie-breaker, but to no avail as he succumbed, 7-6, 6-2. Halperin effortlessly knocked off Ivy foe Chris Wolfe of Brown, 6-4, 6-4, in the second round, and marched through Yale’s Greg Royce, 6-2, 6-4, in the third round.

There was no home-court advantage for Virginia Tech’s Davor Dupljak as Halperin defeated him, 6-3, 6-4, in the quarterfinals. In the semis, Halperin knocked off a dangerous No. 3 seed in Erik Scharf of St. John’s, 6-4, 6-2.

Junior Stefan Paulovic, teamed up with Halperin to make it to the semifinals of the doubles competition. The duo lost a tight three-set match to No. 5 seed Jon Kliegerman and John Portlock of Princeton, 6-7, 6-3, 7-5, but not before taking out Scharf and Jake Maxwell of St. John’s, 6-2, 7-6, in the quarterfinals.

Senior tri-captain Greg Artzt and Paulovic had strong showings themselves in the singles competition. Artzt made it to the second round before falling to Army’s Marshall Clay, 7-6, 6-4, while Paulovic ran into the unlucky No. 7 seed, Judson Williams of Princeton in the second round, and lost 6-4, 6-3.

The women’s draw was at William & Mary in Williamsburg, Va. Sophomore Daniela DelPrete edged out Providence’s Brooke Rubin, 6-4, 6-4, in the first round before falling to a streaky No. 25 seed Andrea Goldberg of Yale, 6-3, 6-3.

DelPrete doubled with senior captain Ngozi Amobi to win a first round doubles match against Loyola’s Pilkington and Russo, 8-4. They unfortunately ran into a talented Maryland combination fell, 8-4.

Both the men and women are finished for fall competition except for Halperin, who will continue to train for nationals. The men’s and women’s coaches, Barry Schoonmaker and Angela Rudert respectively, will have a generous stockpile of underclassmen next fall to fill in the big shoes of Halperin and Amobi.

Archived article by Sun Staff