Men's and Women's Polo Host Bill Fields Invite

The best polo talent in the nation will gather on the East Hill for the five-day long Bill Fields tournament beginning today. Ten squads will make the trek to Ithaca, highlighted by national studs Colorado State, Virginia and Texas A & M.

The affair was named for Fields, an alumnus of Cornell polo and long time supporter of the program for many years.

“He was a key player in brining the national championships to Ithaca,” head coach Dave Eldredge ’81.

Cornell will open the women’s action with a tilt with Ivy foe Yale slated for 2:30p.m. today. Virginia, last year’s national runner-up and the crown holder the year before will among the most formidable teams. The visitors from Colorado should prove to be difficult to beat. Coming of a solid campaign last year, they have posted a strong start on the young season.

The women’s teams from Skidmore and Yale are both young, developing programs that will seek the benefit of experience against top-ranked opponents the tournament provides.

Connecticut is in the midst of a rebuilding effort. After capturing the national title in 1995, it has failed to reach the finals since.

The Cornell men’s team begins play on Friday evening against Colorado State. The Red’s senior captain, Jeff Embow, guided the opponents to a national championship before defecting to Ithaca last year.

Texas A & M, winners of last year’s national title appear to be the team to beat.

“There is a possibility that Texas A&M’s best player will be out with a rib injury,” Eldredge said. However, this player will be making the trek to East Hill.

This will leave the door wide open for the Red to potentially be run-away champions.

With both Cornell squads primed to make a run at a national title, this competition should provide a chance for accessing the top programs in the nation.

Archived article by Gary Schueller