Gymnasts Hoping to Improve on Strong Start

The Cornell gymnastics team set a team record on the balance beam, and recorded two all-time top five performances but could not overcome a strong Penn team. Last Saturday the Red succumbed to the Quakers 191.250-185.700.

Shannon Weiman lead the record breaking effort on the beam with a 9.700. While the score tied her for fourth in Cornell’s history, she tied for second with Penn’s Sarah Bruscia. Teammate Serena Syma captured first place with a 9.750. Cornell’s total score in the event, 46.650 is .025 higher than the previous record. Unfortunately for the Red, the Quakers bested Cornell’s performance by .900.

Another highlight for the Red came from Denise Hurd. When she notched a 9.575 on the apparatus she acquired the third highest vault score for Cornell. The valiant effort was only enough for third place though behind Anna Wilson and Christy Green of Penn.

The Quakers who placed second in the ECAC last year edged out the Red on every event to secure the victory while setting a record in its team score on the uneven parallel bars (47.450) and its highest score in a season-opener.

Sophomore Abby Vedder, the sole Cornellian competing in the all-around, finished in second place with 36.950 total points, 1.050 short of Penn’s Jenn Capasso.

Sunday, the Red will have a second chance at Penn at the George Washington Invitational. The other schools attending are North Carolina State, William and Mary, Temple and Radford.

Archived article by Amanda Angel