Polo to Face Alums

Nothing better than some home-cooking following a long vacation.

The men’s polo squad is hoping to get the right dose when they return to the friendly confines of Oxley Equestrian Center to entertain Greenwich Saturday evening at 8:15 p.m.

This will be the first action for the Red riders since they captured the crown at the William S. Field Invitational tournament on November 19. Senior captain Jeff Embow turned on a stellar performance in that match recording eight goals, with classmate Renato Periera adding six. Embow’s showing earned him Air Force ROTC Athlete of the Week honors.

With the women’s club idle this weekend, the men will occupy the spotlight as they place their unblemished 6-0 mark on the line.

Facing a schedule that includes dates with national stud Virginia and formidable Purdue, the Red welcomes this weekend’s friendly competition.

The visitors from Connecticut are all former Cornellians who played under head coach David Eldredge ’81 during the mid-90’s. PJ Orthwein leads a trio rounded out by Dorn Cox and Andrew Flynn. The three have all made unfulfilled trips to the national championship game.

It should be a welcome homecoming for both parties.

“We’re looking forward to [this weekend]. It promises to be a good match,” offered Eldredge.

After a strong week of practice, the club admits that despite the nature of this weekend’s match, it remains key in setting early momentum for the remainder of the season.

Archived article by Gary Schueller