Track Heads to Cambridge

The men’s and women’s indoor track & field teams will travel to Cambridge, Ma., this weekend, for a tri-meet with Brown and Harvard tomorrow.

The meet’s importance stems from the fact that Harvard’s track will be the venue for the Heps championship in late February.

“Since the Heps is [at] Harvard, I want the [team] to go atune to Harvrad’s Gordon track,” said women’s head coach Lou Duesing. “I want them to get familiar with the place and let it be like a second home for them.”

Unlike other sports, in track & field, the regular season has no significance other than the competitive aspect, and the post-season (especially the Heps) is the be-all, end-all.

During the week, Duesing told his team that ‘This isn’t the Heps.’

“I don’t know that we’ll see a foreshadowing of what’s going to happen at the Heps,” he remarked. “I think what’s important for us is to go there and be competitive.”

Although this weekend will be the Red’s first Ivy League meet, it has had a full schedule already.

Last weekend, both the men and women placed first at the Cornell Invitational.

On the men’s side, first-place finishers were Colin Moore (5000 meters), Brett Coffing (shot put), Tyler Kaune (long jump), and Travis Offner (pole vault).

For the women, Carlan Gray (5000 meters), Katy Jay (60 meters, 200 meters), and Jessica Parrott (3000 meters) all won events last weekend.

After taking on Harvard and Brown, the Red will then visit New Haven, Conn., next weekend to compete against Yale and Bucknell.

Archived article by Shiva Nagaraj