Tennis Teams Open Season With Victories

Both the men’s and women’s tennis teams commenced their spring seasons with an air of perfection this weekend.

Competing at the Virginia Commonwealth University 4-1 Tennis Invitational, the men hammered Richmond, 5-0, and didn’t have a much tougher time against James Madison, which they defeated, 4-1.

The women, playing at home at the Reis Tennis Center whipped both Colgate and St. Bonaventure by scores of 7-0.

Against Richmond, Greg Artzt, Stefan Paulovic, Zach Gallin, and Scott Paltrowitz all won their singles matches. The duo of Russ Gimelstob and Pat Hagan also claimed the lone doubles match.

Then, in the win over James Madison, Mike Halperin — who was last season’s Ivy League Player of the Year — had no trouble with Louis Rosado, 6-1, 6-2. Artzt, Paulovic, and Mike Mestel also won their matches.

For the women, it was easy pickings against both the Red Raiders and Bonnies. Daniela DelPrete, Suzanne Wright, Piper Lucas, Laura Leigh Tallent, and Alex DelPrete all picked up wins in both matches. Ngozi Amobi claimed a victory against Colgate, while Saloni Kantaria did the same against St. Bonaventure.

In the doubles, the pairings of Amobi and Lucas, Alex DelPrete and Daniela DelPrete, and Wright and Kantaria earned wins against both opponents.

The women take the court next on Friday, when they host the Cornell Winter Indoor Classic. The men will remain in Virginia for the remainder of their VCU Invitational, which ends today. They then have their own Cornell Invitational in two weeks.

Archived article by Shiva Nagaraj