Fencing Heads to Mass.

The Big Red fencing squad (1-3 overall, 0-1 Ivy) journeys to Wellesley and MIT this weekend for two important mid-season meets.

Tomorrow, major competition will commence for the Big Red fencers as they match up with Vassar (2-3), Tufts, and Wellesley (4-1) in Boston, Mass.

All three teams have been performing well this season, with Wellesley leading the pack in terms of wins.

Sunday, the team remains in Boston for a match against Brandeis (4-2), Boston College (2-1), Brown (3-1 overall, 0-1 Ivy) and MIT (3-0). This will be a tougher day, as all four squads post strong records thus far in the season.

Recently, Kate Boyle and Jessica Peakes of Boston College were chosen to compete at the Under-20 Junior Olympic Championships, which will be held in two weeks in Salt Lake City, Utah. They are competing to prepare for the tournament, so they are expected to have good performances this weekend.

Brown placed first in the Northeast Fencing Championship Tournament last year and will be the only Ivy League opponent during the weekend. After suffering a 19-8 loss to Harvard last weekend, the Bears hope to even out their Ivy record against Cornell.

The Big Red is entering the weekend with the same drive, after losing to Yale, 18-9 before the winter break. Cornell also has some momentum from the NIFWA Chamipionships in December, during which many of the Red’s fencers performed very well. Senior Ellen Rajfer placed second in the foil competition and junior Tara Hatami finished fourth in the same style.

Cornell is looking to improve upon its overall record, while also earning its first win in the Ivy League.

Archived article by Kelli Larsen