W. Hockey Fights For Final Playoff Position

The Cornell Women’s Ice Hockey (9-13-1, 6-11-1 ECAC) team is facing a must-win situation this weekend with playoffs just around the corner. Eight teams make the tournament and the Red is currently tied for 10th. Standing in the way of the Red’s much needed four points are ECAC foes New Hampshire (14-13-0, 10-8-0 ECAC) and Maine. Maine enters the game tied with Cornell for that tenth position, while New Hampshire is currently perched at the sixth spot.

In their last meetings, the Red dropped a 3-1 decision against the Black Bears and was crushed 8-1 by the Wildcats. However, home at Lynah Rink, the Red believe the rematch could tell quite a different story.

Head Coach Carol Mullins is confident in her team and is looking forward to this weekend’s games. The team has had some strong practices all week, emphasizing spreading the width, using the whole ice and supporting each other.

This hard work, and a simple strategy could be the keys to success. Mullins said that this weekend the team is just looking to “play as we know we can play.” In the ECAC, any team on any day can upset another team, and that is just what the Red is going to need to do.

The Wildcats are vulnerable, currently in a six game losing streak. However, New Hampshire has a strong core group of players and a winning history. This should be a good matchup.

“We have to stay with them,” Mullins acknowledge of UNH. “[We have to] make them skate us, that’s why we want to keep control of the puck.”

Face-off for Saturday’s game is at 2 p.m. at Lynah, and the team is looking for Cornellians to come out and support the homeside.

“We are looking for a lot of support,” finished Mullins. “We play well when there is a lot of noise; the fans are a large part of us.”

After Saturday’s game, the Red will turn around and play Maine on Sunday, also at 2 p.m.

Archived article by Kristen Haunss