Equestrian Squad Hosts Crucial Show

The Cornell equestrian team is looking for redemption.

After taking fifth place in last weekend’s show at Skidmore, the team is ready to make a charge.

And this will be a good weekend for the Red to improve on its showing of a week ago, as it is hosting this week’s event.

In a sport where knowing how the horses react to you is crucial, Cornell will be at an advantage over all other teams in that it rides on these horses everyday for practice.

Last week, Kate Cornell was victorious in her division of the open flat. Stacey Olexy, Melanie Berliner and Dawn Greenberg also posted victories for the squad in the intermediate fences, novice fences and novice flat divisions, respectively.

Greenberg and Julie Canter both qualified for the regional championships during their rides last weekend.

On the year, the Red is trying to catch Skidmore as the top team in the region. Though the Thoroughbreds have been the team to beat for most of the season, with strong showings in the three final regular season shows, Cornell may still catch the perennial powerhouse before the season ends. And that will be crucial if the squad hopes to complete the goal it set out for itself at the start of the year — reaching Nationals in Atlanta, Ga.

The first step towards reaching that mark will take place Sunday in the Oxley Equestrian Center.

Archived article by J.V. Anderton