Fencing Performs at IFAs

Last weekend, women’s fencing captured eighth place overall at the Intercollegiate Fencing Association championships held at Harvard University. At the end of an arduous competition, the Red finished a respectable nineth and 14th in the foil and sabre standings, respectively. However, the best performance of the weekend was achieved in the epee event, in which the Red secured second place.

Stephanie Glaser was the team’s top epee performer in the first day at the championships. She placed first in her qualifying group with a 10-3 record and finished positive18 in touches for the day. Other notable performances in the epee competition include Patricia Blumenauer, who finished third in her qualifying group with a 10-3 record. Roopa Rangi finished seventh in her group with a 7-6 record but had a negative 2 rating.

In the sabre competition, Kata Mihaly led the Big Red with a 4-9 record and a negative 10 rating. Elinor Granzow was also 4-9 for the day, but ended at negative 13. Lily Nierenberg finished the competition with a 2-11 record and a -28 rating. In the foil competition, Ellyn Rajfer and Tara Hatami were both 6-7 for the day with -4 ratings.

Women’s fencing’s 2000-2001 season concludes Sunday, Mar. 11, at the Northeast Regional championships at Boston College.

Archived article by Kris Rajan