M. Tennis Heads to Army

The tennis team heads to Army this weekend, looking to continue its unbeaten start on the season. Comfortable wins last weekend over St.John’s and Binghamton saw the Red improve its mark to 8-0. However, Army could provide the team with perhaps its biggest test of the season to date.

Cornell squeaked out a 4-3 win last year when it hosted the men from West Point.

“We’ve played some good schools so far but the rivalry [with Army] has a pretty big history” said freshman sensation Scott Paltrowitz. “A lot of guys will be really fired up”.

The men find themselves in a situation similar to last season. Last spring, they came into their match-up against Army unbeaten at 6-0, fresh off a win against Binghamton.

As of last weekend, the team holds an overall record of 8-0, after they disposed of Binghamton on Sunday.

The play of the freshmen will be crucial as the Red hopes to chalk up win number nine. So far, the trio of classmates Zach Gallin, Paltrowitz, and Julian Cheng have been nothing short of phenomenal. While senior tri-captains Mike Halperin and Greg Artz usually occupy the number-one and number-one spots in singles, the freshmen are charging hard. In fact, in last weekend’s victory over Binghamton, Gallin, Paltrowitz, and Cheng lined up at slots 1-3 and still steam-rolled over their opponents.

Paltrowitz is excited about the depth that he and his fellow newcomers give the team.

“It was a great class coming in added to a great team” he noted. “I’m ecstatic to be part of this team”.

A win against Army on Sunday would give the team a huge boost en route to Florida over spring break, when they will play four teams in a five day span. Last year, the Red lost its unbeaten record when they headed south to the Sunshine State.

Archived article by Soo Kim