W. Lacrosse Continues Tough Schedule

The women’s lacrosse team opens it’s home season this Saturday against No. 20 Rutgers (0-2, 0-1 Big East). The Red (1-0, 0-0 Ivy League) is hot, upsetting No. 14 Penn State, 11-9, last week in State College, Pa.

Carrying the momentum from last season’s success, No. 15 Cornell is the team to beat right now. After going 13-4 and 5-2 in the Ivies, and winning the ECACs, the Red want to do even more this season.

Head coach Jenny Graap ’86 sees the team’s goals — winning the Ivy League and qualifying for the NCAA tournament — well within grasp. She knows how to prepare the squad to reach those goals. Graap makes the team’s schedule tougher every year by inserting more ranked teams each season.

So even after last year’s accomplishments, she ditched the easy games and added more opponents in the national spotlight. This included Penn State, who was just beaten by the Red. Overall, eight of its 14 games this season are against ranked teams.

This weekend, Cornell battles another one of those clubs, facing the Scarlet Knights of Rutgers University. The New Jersey team has had a rough March, losing its opening game 11-8 to Virginia Tech last week. Then on Wednesday, the women took on No. 2 Princeton. The Tigers proved to be too much, turning a 12-0 half-time lead into a 16-3 victory.

Rutgers had a great year in 1999, making it to the NCAA tournament under the leadership of head coach Anna Marie Vesco. Last season was disappointing for the Knights, who opened 0-4 and finished the year 7-8.

The visiting team could not have had an easy time scouting the Red, who had seven different scorers in its opener. Cornell’s balanced attack and quick defense are almost impossible to shut down.

Junior leaders Jamiee Reynolds and Ginny Miles, along with classmate Lori Wohlschlegal, all contributed offensively in the victory. Sophomores Sarah Averson, Erica Holveck, Sarah Fischer and Beth Calder also tallied points. Freshman standout Michelle Allen started her college career with two goals for Cornell.

On defense, senior co-captain Sarah McGoey led the Red, with strong help from juniors Kari Zarzecki, Sarah Graham and Katie McCorry. Third-year goalie Carrie Giancola had seven saves, and shut the Nittany Lions down for almost 15 minutes in the second half.

While Cornell looks to keep a six game winning streak dating back to last season going, Rutgers wants to turn its season around. The teams face-off Saturday at 1:00 p.m. on Schoellkopf Field.

Archived article by Cammy Kandiko