W. Tennis Hosts Two Matches

The women’s tennis team (6-2, 0-0 Ivy) returns to action this weekend at the Reis tennis center, where it will host Seton Hall and Stony Brook. The Red will look to overhaul a recent dose of poor form, which has resulted in consecutive losses to both Eastern Michigan and Penn State.

In its last meet, the team lost an exhausting 4-3 encounter to a tenacious Penn State squad. The Red lost the doubles rubber and could only capture three of the six singles matches. The highlight of the tie was senior captain Ngozi Amobi’s magnificent three-set victory over the Nittany Lions’ Judy Wang at No. 3 singles (6-2, 3-6, 6-4). Sophomore Nicole Chiu was victorious at the No. 5 position, beating Kristin Nowicki, 6-3, 6-4. Newcomer Sternberg was the final point-scorer for the Red, defeating Leigh Ann Merriman at No. 6 singles, 6-2, 6-1.

In its previous encounter, the Red lost its first match of the spring, falling 6-1 to Eastern Michigan. Eastern Michigan jumped out to an early advantage when it won all three doubles matches acquiring the first point. The Red lost both the Nos. 2 and 3 doubles matches in close 8-6 contests.

Amobi is hopeful that the Red will find some of its early season form that accounted for the sweep of the first six matches.

“So far it’s going really well and hopefully we’ll be able to string together a couple of wins,” Amobi said of the season thus far.

Archived article by Kris Rajan