W. Tennis Defeats SHU, Stony Brook

The Cornell women’s tennis team had to battle illness all week before facing two opponents this weekend.

“Although I knew that we were capable of winning both matches,” head coach Angela Rudert said, “Seton Hall is the type of team who could give us difficulty.”

Nevertheless, the Big Red defeated both Seton Hall, winning 5-2, and Stony Brook, triumphing 7-0. In doing so, the women raised their overall record to 8-2.

The matches were highlighted by two sweeps of the doubles matches, and Rudert was most pleased with this fact.

“I was really happy with our doubles, who got sweeps in both competitions. Against Penn State and Eastern Michigan last week they faced tough ranked opponents, and it was good to see them bounce back and win this weekend,” Rudert commented.

Sophomores Suzanne Wright and Daniela DelPrete won their No. 1 doubles matches both 8-2. Senior Ngozi Amobi and freshman Kate Sternberg at No. 2 doubles nipped Seton Hall’s team 8-6 and then crushed Stony Brook 8-0. Finally, sophomores Nicole Chiu and Alex DelPrete twice swept 8-0 at the No. 3 spot.

Against a deep Seton Hall opponent, Wright won decisively 6-1, 6-1 in the No. 1 position. In a similar manner, freshman Laura Leigh Tallent won at the No. 4 spot, 6-1, 6-2. Chiu took the No. 5 singles, 6-1, 6-2, and freshman Kate Sternberg took her No. 6 match 6-2, 6-2 to round out the five Cornell victories.

Against Stony Brook later that day, Rudert decided to rest some of her normal starters because of exhaustion from the first match combined with weakness from the sickness previously going around. This had no effect on the team’s performance, however, and they cruised to a sweep. Leading the way was Daniela DelPrete at No. 1 singles, winning 7-5, 6-3. Tallent took the No. 2 singles match by 7-6(4), 6-2, while Chiu moved up to No. 3 singles and won 6-2, 6-1. Sternberg won 6-1, 6-1 at No. 4. Sophomore Piper Lucas swept at No. 5, 6-0, 6-0, and Alex DelPrete finished it off at No. 6 with victories of 6-1, 6-0.

The team, though led by senior captain Ngozi Amobi, consists mostly of sophomores. Rudert, however points to two freshman who have made their marks by compiling outstanding records. Sternberg, undefeated at 8-0, and Tallent, 10-2, have dominated their oppositions throughout the season.

Next weekend the tennis team travels to Atlanta and Florida to enjoy the warmer weather and get some competition in the process.

“We’ll be using spring break to prepare for the Ivies,” Rudert said.

Archived article by Sun Staff