W. Lacrosse Stays on E. Coast for Break

Moving on up. Moving on up.

The women’s lacrosse team is moving up in the national rankings. The Red (2-0, 0-0 Ivy) began the preseason ranked No. 15, but after two weeks of nonconference play, the women are now at No. 13, only six points behind No. 12 Dartmouth.

As the rest of Cornell heads down south for a little fun in the sun, the lacrosse team is heading to a different coast — the East coast. The women have packed spring break full with a long road trip. They are visiting three schools in seven days. First, the Red battles Columbia tomorrow. The unranked Lions are 1-1 in interleague games. The team from the Big Apple won its opener against Manhattan, but lost its next game to Colgate.

Next on the schedule for the red-hot Red is a match-up with Vanderbilt played at Johns Hopkins March 20th. The Commodores (0-3) are off to a rough start. It began the season with a 4-10 loss to No. 2 Georgetown, followed by an 11-16 loss to Stanford. Last week Vandy dropped another to No. 5 (now No. 4) Duke, by a 2-22 margin.

Three days after that the Red finishes it’s road trip with a game versus Penn. The Quakers are 1-2. Penn opened the year with an 8-9 double over-time loss to William and Mary. The Philly team got back on its feet and pulled off a 12-7 victory at LaSalle. The team then lost a defensive contest with Old Dominion, 3-7.

The Red, on the other hand, is undefeated after winning a huge opener to No. 14 (now No. 15) Penn State by an 11-9 margin. The squad followed the win with another, a 15-6 home-opening victory over Rutgers at Schoellkopf Field.

The first game was marked by parity, with seven different scorers. Junior All-American Jamiee Reynolds, who scored six goals in the contest, dominated in the next game. The Red hopes to get some early season Ivy wins, and keep its winning streak alive.

Cornell finally returns home for a battle with Stanford on March 27, at Schoellkopf Field.

Archived article by Cammy Kandiko