W. Lax Meets Raiders

The women’s lacrosse team is at the mid-point of its season, with seven games down and seven to go. The squad started out with a six-game winning streak and reached No. 13 ranking in the national polls.

The Red (6-1, 2-1 Ivy) faced its toughest battle last weekend in a match-up with third-ranked Princeton. Though the game was close, the Tigers pulled ahead in the closing minutes and went home with a 9-5 victory

So far this year, this team has proved itself to be a national contender. The women’s focus and determination comes in large part from the experience of the upperclassmen and the strength of head coach Jenny Graap ’86.

One of the highlights of the Red is its selflessness — the team has had up to seven different scorers in a single game, and twelve players have contributed offensively this season. The statistics the women have compiled to date are a tribute to their dominating play. Cornell has outscored its opponents 76-45 and almost doubled the number of assists its adversaries have totaled.

The Red has a chance to increase its numbers when Colgate’s lacrosse team visits today for a 7:00 p.m. contest at Schoellkopf Field. The Red Raiders (5-6, 2-0 Patriot) are having a solid season. They lost two big games to Hofstra and Syracuse, falling 18-4 and 17-4, respectively. However, the team’s strength lies in its ability to win close games. Colgate has pulled out two victories by one-point margins. The visitors are trying to avenge last year’s 12-6 loss to Cornell.

After dropping two in a row earlier this spring, the Red Raiders are on a two-game winning streak, having taken down Lehigh and La Salle. Colgate’s streaking player is sophomore Heather Smith, who has scored four goals in the last two games. She and senior Liz Smith both have 20 goals on the season.

However, Cornell has some strong defenders to match-up with Colgate’s offensive weapons. No team has managed to score in double digits against the Red this year. Senior captain Sarah McGoey leads the backfield — she has 11 ground balls and four interceptions.

Helping her out is an aggressive set of juniors. Katie McCorry and Sarah Graham both have 15 ground balls, and Kari Zarzecki has added another six.

One of Cornell’s most impressive players all season has been junior goalie Carrie Giancola. She has amassed 46 saves while starting every game. She has allowed a paltry six goals per game in the net.

One cannot forget about the other side of the field with this stellar team. Juniors Jaimee Reynolds and Ginny Miles lead the attack as they each have landed the ball in the net 16 times this season, with Reynolds tacking on five assists.

Six other Cornellians have proved to be offensive threats. Junior Lori Wohlschlegal has 16 points, including an impressive five assists. Junior Beth Calder and sophomores Sarah Averson, Erica Holveck, and Sarah Fischer have 31 points amongst them. Freshman Michelle Allen has earned herself a starting spot, scoring seven goals and dishing three assists.

Halfway through the season, the team’s goals have not changed. It is still looking for the Ivy League title, and Princeton’s 6-2 record shows the Tigers are not invincible. The light at the end of tunnel remains a berth in the NCAA tournament. And the Red is on track to get there. But before then, Cornell is focusing on the last seven games of the regular season.

Archived article by Cammy Kandiko