Crew Faces Formidable Foes

No one has benefited more from the change in climate than all three of Cornell’s crews. Last weekend each team began its spring racing season precariously, having had little practice time on the rough cold waters in the Cayuga Inlet. But the teams have taken advantage of the balmy weather this week, practicing every day past 6:00 at the boathouse.

The prolonged practices come at an opportune time since all three crews are in action this weekend, at home and away, against faster teams than last weekend.

The No. 11 heavyweights travel to the Carnegie Inlet where they will meet Georgetown. The varsity eight beat Michigan last weekend, and should speed ahead of the unranked Hoyas.

The lightweights have a challenge in front of them in Philadelphia as they race the Quakers and Crimson. All three teams are in the upper echelon of lightweight racing, but the perennial Ivy bigwig Crimson is favored to take first in the varsity competition. Penn and Cornell’s rivalry should be intensified as the two rivalries are ranked consecutively in the preseason polls. The Quakers are at the ninth spot and Red in 10th.

The women, meanwhile will remain in Ithaca to host Yale and Syracuse. USRowing/CRCA ranked Cornell’s varsity eight comprised at the No. 19 position. Unfortunately for the Red, both the Elis and Orange are well above that mark, resting at No. 10 and No. 6, respectively

From this point onward, none of the crews have room for error, as each regatta will count heavily towards placement come the EARCs and EAWRCs in May.

Archived article by Amanda Angel