Golf Goes to Yale Links

The Red golf team travels to New Haven, Conn. this weekend for its second competition of the spring season at the Yale Golf Tournament. Cornell begins its rounds today and play through Sunday, weather permitting.

“It’s one of the top 50 hardest courses in the nation,” said junior Dave Nayak.

Cornell is coming off a strong finish from last weekend’s Towson Tournament. The team managed to place in the tournament, coming in 16th out of 18 teams on the Great Hope Golf Course.

Nayak led the Red shooting a first round 82, and then besting the performance on the with a second round 78. Other top finishers for Cornell were senior Connor Brownwell and sophomore Ross LaFleur, who both shot a combined 167.

With the Robert Trent Jones Golf Course still partially buried under the remains of a snowy March, the team has had little practice time on campus. But because of the improved weather this past week, the team’s been able to get some practice team outside.

“We’ve been working a lot on the short game, so hopefully it’ll pay off,” Nayak said.

Teams expected at this tourney are Ivy foes host Yale, Harvard, Brown, and Dartmouth, along with other ECAC schools.

“This is an important tournament because its the final tune-up before the Ivy Championships,” Nayak explained. “Competition will definitely be there.”

The Red moves on to the Ivy Tournament on the 20th, and then finishes the season at Penn State on the 29th.

Archived article by Josh Vlasto