Master the Experience

This is a great week to be a sports fan.

The NCAA basketball championships, the start of Major League Baseball, and rumors of NBC pulling coverage of the XFL.

However, there is something much dearer to my heart taking place this weekend.

It is my favorite spring tradition. Indeed, you might call it “a tradition unlike any other.”

Yes, it is The Masters.

It is perhaps the most important golfing event in the world. There is guaranteed drama throughout the weekend.

Where else can legends some 20 years past their prime come to life and finish in the top-10 in the biggest tournament in the world?

Not at Wimbledon. Not in the Olympics. And certainly not in the Major Leagues.

But here it is possible. Just ask Jack Nicklaus.

The fairways are like greens at most courses. The greens are like tables in most kitchens.

The Masters is the definition of precision. If you execute as you plan, you can score well. If you don’t, by the time you reach Amen Corner you’ll be on the highway to hell.

Augusta National is little short of a mythical experience for a fan of golf.

Tickets for the event are passed on from generation to generation in a family. And where else can you get away with wearing a green jacket with such pride?

If you have ever wondered why some people love golf, or are curious as to what causes people to make the odd motions of “practicing putting” in the dead of winter, watch CBS this weekend.

You will see feats of skill that push the imagination.

You will see the ebb and flow of names on the leaderboard.

And yes, you will see Tiger Woods.

But it will also serve as a great introduction to the old game.

For those of you who know the glory of what I speak, enjoy the weekend. For those who don’t, do yourself a favor and find a television. You can start a beautiful relationship with a great sport.

And don’t worry about not knowing all the rules and terms. Everyone around the TV will fill you in.

Just remember not to ask while someone is swinging.

Archived article by J.V. Anderton