Quest for Goes Cup Headlines Weekend Crew Action

It is a big weekend for the Cornell crews. The heavyweight crew will be heading to Annapolis, Md. to take on Navy and Syracuse, the lightweight team will be traveling to Massachusetts on Saturday to face off with MIT and Columbia, and the women will be heading to New Jersey to take on Rutgers and Pennsylvania.

The heavyweight team is ready to challenge for the Goes Cup Trophy. The race which began almost half a decade ago, according to head coach Dan Roock, is a traditional race, one of the three cup races on the heavyweight schedule.

“The real goal here is to win the Goes Trophy,” commented Roock. This means winning the varsity race.

This trophy has not found its home on the East Hill since the early 90’s, but the Red is ready to bring it home. Standing in its way however are two fast crews.

Despite Navy’s rocky start, Roock acknowledged its winning power.

“They have only raced twice, but whenever they race us and Syracuse they pick it up a notch.”

The Orange is also a strong team which should prove for a very exciting weekend. For the first boat, Cornell is ranked 9th, Syracuse 10th and Navy 12th nationally.

The second boat finds Cornell at the 7th position, Syracuse once again at the 10th position and Navy at the number 11 notch.

The No. 13 women are definitely planning to move up in their standings.

After the varsity eight boat couldn’t pass No. 2 Princeton and No. 3 Radcliff on the Cayuga Inlet, the No. 8 Rutgers team and No. 9 Quakers will provide a more even matchup in the varsity race. The Red is favored to win the novice and junior varsity contests.

“[Both teams] are descent, but we are definitely planning to win,” captain Crystal Cline commented, adding “we are planning a clean sweep of all the boats.”

The lightweights are coming off a tough weekend that saw the team finish third in three races and second in the other two, as Princeton swept all events against Cornell and Rutgers.

But the crew will not get a break against the very competitive M.I.T. and Columbia boat on the Charles.

Archived article by Kristen Haunss