Famed Penn Relays Begin in Philly

The Penn Relays — one of the most famed meets in all of track & field — began yesterday in Philadelphia, Pa. And both the Cornell men’s and women’s squads were there for the commencement of competition.

In the small amount of events that were held yesterday, the Red was buoyed by the performance of senior Karen Chastain. She placed second in the discus, 12th in the shot put and 15th in the hammer throw. Emily Eigel shadowed Chastain in the shot put, finishing 22nd.

In what has become one of the highlights of the women’s program, the distance medley relay of Kinsy Miller, Hannah Garrity, Natalie Gingerich and Jessica Parrott took 11th in the Championship of America, with a time of 11:46.54.

On the men’s side in the distance events, Max King earned an eighth place in the 3000 steeplechase championship race. One of the best steeplechasers in the country, he timed 8:52.54.

In other results, Andy Boone finished 27th in the men’s 5000 while Sonya Negriff tied for 12th in the women’s pole vault.

Also competing was the women’s 4×100 relay which ran a 48.33 in its heat and qualified for the ECAC championship today.

Although the weekend will be filled with events on all levels ranging from high school to professional (there will even be a corporate distance medley race), today’s marquee race for Cornell will likely be the men’s distance medley, which placed 11th at the competitive Sea Ray Relays two weekends ago in Tennessee.

Archived article by Shiva Nagaraj