Women's Lax to Get Harvard

While Harvard (6-7, 1-5 Ivy) doesn’t exactly infuse fear into the women’s lacrosse world, the team always presents an interesting challenge to whomever it plays. No. 12 Cornell (9-3, 4-2) is slated to battle the Crimson this weekend and hopes to dominate the visitors.

“It won’t be hard to keep our emotion up for the game since our season is on the line,” junior midfielder Beth Calder related. “It’s a huge rivalry, and we’re psyched.”

Using its new found team spirit, Cornell again looks like the unbeatable team it was at this time a year ago. The Red is coming off a huge upset of then-No. 7 Yale last weekend in New Haven, 11-7. As a sign of its improvement, the team also played national powerhouses Dartmouth and Princeton closer than it has ever before.

Harvard has dominated its fellow in-state teams, while having trouble outside of Massachusetts. The Crimson pulled off a colossal upset of then No. 7 Boston University, 7-6, and beat the University of Massachusetts and Boston College, 9-8 and 14-11, respectively. The team also took nationally-ranked Yale and Stanford to the wire before losing by one goal each time. The Bulldogs beat Harvard on a goal with two seconds left in the game.

“They’ve played some huge games,” Calder confirmed, “And they’ll be fired up. Your record doesn’t say everything about your team and it’s going to be a battle.”

Cornell will look to take the pressure off of its stifling defense by scoring early and often. Led by junior scoring machines Jaimee Reynolds and co-captain Ginny Miles, as well as freshman-phenoms Michelle Allen and Kate Hirschfield, the Red have been impressive on its opponents’ side of the field.

To call the defense stifling is an understatement. The team ranks third in the nation in goals allowed (6.50) and 12th in scoring margin (3.83), and still has not given up double-digit goals all season.

“They’re a feisty team and they play tough all over the field,” Calder said. “But we’ll throw some new defenses at them.”

The contest begins at 12:00 pm on Saturday at Berman Field.

“It’ll be a great game. We hope a lot of people come out,” Calder concluded.

Archived article by Sumeet Sarin