Golf Places 15th at Penn State Invite

The golf team concluded its season over the weekend, finishing in the No. 15 slot at the Penn State Rutherford Intercollegiate Tournament. The event was won convincingly by host Penn State, which finished with an overall tally of 863 strokes, 25 ahead of second place James Madison.

The best Ivy League finish belonged to Princeton, finishing in third place while the other Ivy participant, Penn, slipped ahead of Cornell in 10th.

“I’m very proud of our team today,” junior Dave Nayak said. “We played solid. It showed that our practice finally paid off.”

In yesterday’s final round, the Red shot a 303.

“Our score [yesterday] was the best we’ve played in a number of years,” he added.

The tournament was played over three rounds on a par 72 course, with the winner, Andy Latowski (Penn State), shooting a four under par 212. Overall, only four players managed to break even par for the tournament.

Cornell’s best performance came from senior Conor Brownell who had rounds of 71, 79, and 73 to finish 11 strokes adrift of Latowski in the No. 22 position. For Brownell, this comes on the heels of a No. 23 finish last week at the Ivy League Championship.

Other top Cornell finishers included senior Frank Ross (61st), Nayak (65th), classmate Tim Roth (70th) and sophomore Ross LaFleur (77th).

The Penn State tournament was the last of four competitions for the men this spring. They placed 16th at the Towson Tournament, 17th at the Yale Tournament and eighth in the Ivy League Championships last weekend.

“I just want to personally thank Conor Brownell and Frank Ross,” said Nayak of the seniors, “for their contributions for the last four years to the golf team.”

Archived article by Soo Kim