Cornell's Top 25 Seniors

For four years they have been the backbone of the Cornell athletic program. They helped build Ivy championships teams, national title contenders and the foundations of greatness.

Their stories have touched us, and the blood, sweat and tears they have poured into their sports have awed us. And the moments they have been a part of will remain etched in our memories.

The Sun salutes the Class of 2001.

Corey Anderson, Wrestling

Senior tri-captain Corey Anderson has had a tremendous career as a Red wrestler. Last year, Anderson had a chance to compete in the EIWA tournament, and he surprised everyone when he went all the way to the top, with a 1-0 victory for the championship. In his senior year, he went 20-7, with a 12-1 major decision in the Princeton match to help his team clinch a share of the Ivy League title. Also, he won a berth to the NCAA Tournament because of his achievements throughout the season.

Allison Batten, Softball

One of the Red’s most treacherous offensive players, Allison “Baddog” Batten has been an important member of the Cornell softball team for three years. Currently, she sits atop several offensive categories in the Red’s record books, including home runs and RBIs. This year alone, Batten has homered 10 times, adding a team-high 39 RBIs. This is her best season to date in those two categories. She is also second on the team in batting average and doubles, with a .333 average and 12 doubles. Two of her home runs this season have been grand slam game-winners, and her first came in the important game against Princeton, when the Red clinched the Ivy League title.

Charlotte Brombach, Softball

The leader of a squad that has won two Ivy League championships, Brombach has certainly played an important role on the Cornell softball team. Charlotte arrived in Ithaca ready to make her mark early. Her most powerful offensive production came while she was a rookie, but she has consistently provided for her team with versatility and talent. Charlotte has led the outfield for almost the entire time she has been at Cornell, and she has been an outstanding leader for her team through the wins and the losses. Currently, Brombach is hitting .277 with seven doubles and a .958 fielding percentage. She hopes to end her collegiate career with a trip to the NCAA tournament.

Adam Brown, Men’s Soccer

The anchor of the backfield, Brown was named an honorable mention selection for the Ivy League despite a injury plagued final season. He will continue his soccer career with the Boston Bulldogs, a farm team of the New England Revolution of the MLS.

Karen Chastain, Track and Field

In the world of Cornell track and field, it does not get much bigger than Heptagonals. Perhaps the best thrower in the Red’s history, she has won the discus event in Heps for the past three years. She has also finished in the top three for shot put and the 20-pound weight throw at the hallowed event.

Lisa Dughi, Swimming and Diving

In her final season, she reached the finals of the 1 meter diving competition in the NCAA Zone A Diving Championships, finishing 17th. She finished 16th in 3 meter as well. In her sophomore campaign, Dughi took fifth on the 1 meter and 11th on the 3 meter.

Jeff Embow, Men’s Polo

When Jeff Embow transferred from Colorado State, the Red may not have known what he was bringing with him. While at Colorado State, Embow’s team won the National Championship. Once he came to Cornell, he helped to make the Red a contender in the polo world. In his final season, Embow led the Red in scoring all season. Embow guided his team to the Bill Field Invitational Trophy with 16 goals against Colorado State and eight against Virginia. Despite his 11 goals against Virginia in the National Semifinal round, his team could not pull off a win. In his time at Cornell, Embow has left a legacy.

Mike Halperin, Men’s Tennis

After transferring from Brown, his junior year consisted of one of the most amazing feats performed at Cornell in recent years. He went 7-0 in the Ivy League at the number-one position. He also earned Ivy Player of the Year honors and a berth in the NCAA Tournament.

Trish Kemp, Women’s Ice Hockey

What a year it has been for this Canadian All-Star. Kemp has been a crucial component of the Red’s defense throughout her career, but she ended her time on East Hill with style. She scored 12 points, with five goals and seven assists, and was named to the All-Ivy second team. Kemp’s teammates look to her for leadership, and she was voted to be a co-captain in her final year. Lacing up her skates for the Three Nations Cup in Switzerland may be one of Kemp’s most amazing hockey memories. In the middle of her senior campaign, Trish was chosen to play for the Under-22 Canadian National Team and traveled to Switzerland to skate with some of Canada’s best. She has contributed much to the Red with her spirit and dedication over four years.

David Key, Men’s Lacrosse

A four-year starter, his prowess in the offensive end of the field has become more apparent as he has gained experience. After 59 points in his first three years, Key has exploded for forty-five points this season to fill a void in the offense left by Sean Steinwald’s ’00 graduation. He also serves as a tri-captain of the squad.

Jonathan Krautmann, Sprint Football

After leading the team with 66 tackles his junior year, Krautmann completed his senior year by anchoring the defense. On a squad which at times had trouble producing offense, Krautmann and his defensive mates kept the squad in the game.

Sarah McGoey. Women’s Lacrosse

Sarah McGoey is one of those players that everyone roots for even though she is rarely seen in the stat books. She is a hard worker, a leader and a consistent defensive wall on the field. In her second year as a captain for the Red, she has started in every game. McGoey has won the team’s Cheryl Wolf Award twice, something to celebrate the player whose altruism and commitment to her team are evident above all other things. Currently, she is training with the Canadian National Team, with hopes of edging her way onto the World Cup playing field.

Kate McMahon, Field Hockey

Voted a team captain in her senior year, Kate McMahon had a phenomenal year for the Red. This season, she scored two goals and had eight assists, to up her career points total to 19. She has been an incredibly versatile member of the squad, playing in several spots throughout the season. She was recognized as one of the region’s best players when she was chosen to be a first team regional All-American and a member of the All-Ivy first team. She has brought the team to a new level in her four-year stint and helped it rise to a very comfortable spot in the Ivy League ranks.

Ray Mercedes, Men’s Basketball

A versatile player, Mercedes was the leading scorer for the Red in 15 games this year. He also hit the boards, leading the squad in rebounds eight times during the past season. He was a performer since he stepped on campus, as he has the record for points in a game for a freshman with 29 against Yale. He ended his career third on the Cornell all-time scoring list.

Colin Moore, Track and Cross Country

A tri-captain, Moore has been vital to the Red’s success in the middle-distance events, as well as the cross country squad. One of the highlights of his cross country career was a fourth place finish at IC4As this year. When on the track, he competed at 800 meters, 1,000 meters,
1,500 meters and the mile.

Erica Olson, Women’s Soccer and Women’s Ice Hockey

One of Cornell’s most respected athletes, Erica Olson does it all. She competes with the women’s soccer team in the fall and transitions to the ice when the winter sports begin. For the second year in a row, Olson led the women’s ice hockey team in scoring, with 29 points on 16 goals and 13 assists. For her efforts this year, she was recognized as an All-Ivy Honorable Mention. She finishes her career with 83 points on 45 goals and 39 assists.

Danny Powell

An anchor on the blue line, Danny Powell is a highly-respected figure in the world of Cornell athletics. He is known for his dedication and hard work, and is one of the hockey team’s best penalty killers. His defensive prowess has been crucial to the success of the Red this year, and he is one of the crowd favorites. Powell finishes his career with three goals and 21 assists.

Ellyn Rajfer, Fencing

She participates in the foil and is the standout on the women’s fencing team. Ellyn Rajfer placed 16th and 18th at the NCAA Northeast Regional Championships in her freshman and sophomore years. Finishing her final year of competition in style, Rajfer placed second at the NIWFA Championships in December and went 6-9 in the Ivy League to earn a berth to the NCAA Fencing Championships.

Richard Stimpson, Men’s Soccer

Three-time All-Ivy first team selection and the career record-holder for assists on East Hill, Stimpson was the offensive spark for the Red in the past four years. He will join Brown in Boston, as he also will play for the Bulldogs.

Joe Splendorio, Football

As the football team has challenged for an Ivy title over the past two years, Splendorio has led the charge. Racking up almost 1,600 yards in the past two seasons, and well over 2,000 for his career, he has been the go-to man for the offense. He also has over 100 catches in the past two years.

Leo Urbinelli, Wrestling

This inspiring tri-captain of the wrestling team has had an amazing senior campaign. He went 26-5, helping his team to a share of the Ivy League title with a 15-2 major decision against Princeton. He has achieved many amazing things in his Cornell career, and he has provided strength and leadership to his squad. Urbinelli was the only Cornell wrestler to muscle out a win at the NCAA Tournament. He entered competition as the 11th seed and won a tight 7-5 decision over Ryan Smith of Ohio and to finish his career.

Bobby Werhane, Men’s Lacrosse

As leader of the defensive squad for the past two years, Werhane was rewarded for his efforts by being named tri-captain this year. He has been instrumental in the men’s lacrosse team’s resurgence in the national spotlight over the past two years. He is a big, strong defender who often draws the opponent’s top scorer.

Dan Weyandt, Football

The co-captain linebacker made 90 tackles this year to lead the team. He also registered two sacks in his final year, and was key to many of the late-game stands the defense made..

Nicole Zitarelli

In both years that the Red won Ivy League championships, Nicole “Z” Zitarelli had command of the mound in the crucial moments. Most memorable perhaps are the 1999 and 2001 Harvard wins, during which Zitarelli threw brilliantly for seven straight innings on Crimson ground. Over her senior year, she has improved greatly, taking her ERA to 1.72. Zitarelli is 15-9 on the season and 6-1 in Ivy League competition, with 90 strikeouts in 27 appearances. Her finesse in the center of the diamond has been instrumental to her team’s success, and her name will live on in the Red record books.

Archived article by J.V. Anderton