Men's Soccer Appoints New Assistant

A former foe will now be a familiar face behind the Cornell men’s soccer team bench. Kevin Bacher, last seen on East Hill between Syracuse’s pipes, is the newest addition to the men’s soccer coaching staff. His primary job is to work with the three Cornell goalies vying to be the Red’s starter for the fall season. Bacher will also assist in scouting and recruiting endeavors.

The former standout spent four years in the net for Syracuse, where he had a 2-2 record against Cornell. He garnered many accolades during his tenure as an Orangeman, especially in the second half of his career there. He was voted most valuable player in his junior and senior year, and was the team captain for last year’s campaign. In 2000 he was named to the All-Big East team in the post season as well as the All-Northeast Regional team, after being the preseason Big East goalkeeper of the year.

Although, Bacher tried his hand in semiprofessional soccer leagues, the Grand Rapids Explosion in 1997 and the New Jersey Imperials in 1999, the native Long Islander wanted to enter a coaching track. Despite graduating last spring, Bacher is already an experienced coach. He has trained young soccer players, mostly goalies, at the Tom Bouklas Soccer Camp, Christian Brothers Academy, Academy of Excellence Soccer Camps and most recently the 2001 Eastern New York State Olympic Development Team, which Bacher was on in 1993 and 1996.

“We expect him to train the goalkeepers,” head coach Bryan Scales stated, adding, “he’s done a terrific job so far.”

Scales began conducting searches for coaching assistants this summer. At 23, Bacher shows great knowledge and understanding while maintaining a professional air.

“He’s kept good distance. He’s very mature,” Scales said. Yet Bacher’s youth has proven advantageous to his coaching. “He’s able to lead by example. He’s able to get in goal,” Scales explained.

Bacher’s contract with Cornell runs through December 2001, but Scales seems enthusiastic about the prospects that Bacher may stay longer.

“We’d love to have him here [after December],” he said.

Archived article by Amanda Angel