Volleyball Plays at Wagner Invite

With Ivy League play just around the corner, the volleyball team is finally beginning to hit full stride. Coming off a second place finish at last weekend’s Big Red Invitational, the women travel to Staten Island, N.Y. for the Wagner invitational. The Red will do battle with Long Island University, Boston College, and Wagner in the final warm-up to Ivy League competition.

Confident

The women will head into the Wagner Invite with renewed confidence, after a strong showing at home in the Big Red Invitational. The Red played some dominating volleyball and was unlucky to finish runner-up to Manhattan College. Led by the hard-hitting duo of Senior Jennifer Borncamp and Sophomore Debbie Quibell, the women brushed aside Fairleigh Dickinson,

St. Francis, and Stony Brook in straight sets. Only a narrow five-set defeat to Manhattan prevented the Red from completing a perfect 4-0 weekend.

After a patchy beginning to the season, the return to form couldn’t have come at a better time for the women. Next weekend, the Red face its first Ivy League opponents, with back to back match-ups against Columbia. The key catalysts of the revival have been outside hitters Borncamp and Quibell, while the emergence of middle blocker Jamie Lugo has been a pleasant surprise. Borncamp looks destined to power her way into Cornell volleyball history, recently becoming just the fifth player in school history to reach 800 kills and 800 digs. Quibell too looks set to re-write the record books, having already reached 516 kills in just her second year.

The main challenger to Cornell at the Wagner Invite figures to be Boston College, who enter the tournament 8-3 overall, including an earlier victory over Ivy League side Dartmouth.

Wagner College and Long Island will provide lesser opposition, holding records of 1-7 and 1-12, respectively.

The match-ups at the Invite will be the last non-league ones of the season for the Red, who plays 14 successive Ivy League matches thereafter.

Archived article by Soo Kim