M. Tennis Returns From Yale Invitational

The men’s tennis team traveled to New Haven, Conn. this past weekend for the Yale Invitational. Several strong performances resulted after some hard fought matches.

Sophomore Zach Gallin won the A singles consolation final and junior Mike Laycob won the C flight consolation final.

Gallin bounced senior teammate Chris Lewis in the consolation final 7-6, 7-6. Laycob won his consolation final with a victory over Dustin West of Yale 6-0, 1-6, 6-2.

Gallin and Schlappig advanced to the semifinals in the A flight doubles bracket, but fell to Jeff Sloves and Drew Dinkmeyer of Dartmouth, 9-7.

The tag team partnership of seniors Pat Hagan and team captain Stefan Paulovic could not repeat their performance from two weeks ago at the Cornell Fall Outdoor Invitational where they won the A doubles bracket. This past weekend the pair lost in the first round.

Sophomores Julian Cheng and Arvinda Neuman got another win under their belts in the B singles flight. Sophomore Michael Schlappig and freshman Matt Cherner-Ranft won their first round C flight single matches as well. In the D flight singles competition, sophomore Scott Spencer also advanced to the second round.

The fall will be a time to develop the individual skills and the spring will be a time to apply what they have learned in the heated team battle for points.

Head coach Barry Schoonmaker and Paulovic know how valuable this time of year is in the development of the younger players. For these underclassmen will form the backbone of the team during the spring, as they are called upon early and often.

Said Hagan: “This weekend just offered a great opportunity for the younger guys to play up in the higher spots… It was good to just see how they would react [to the higher level of competition].”

Boston is next on tap for the Red as it looks forward to getting more live action in the ECAC Championships during fall break, Oct. 5-8.

“This is the main focus for us in the fall… it was good to see Dartmouth and Yale this weekend as we might end up drawing them in the ECAC tournament,” concluded Hagan.

Archived article by Donald Lee