W. Soccer's Thomas Named Ivy League Rookie of the Week

Instant gratification is not something that everyone intentionally aims for. In some cases, stars just have accolades fall into their laps.

Freshman Katie Thomas was awarded the Ivy League Rookie of the Week title after busting out with 24 saves in the Red’s past two games.

Evidence

The women’s soccer team tied both Colgate and Stony Brook by the same score of 1-1.

Thomas responded, “I am completely honored and I never really expected it. I’ve been told to never worry about the outcome and just focus on the process.”

Well focus she did.

Savior

Thomas tied a Cornell record with 17 saves in Saturday’s game against the Stony Brook’s Seawolves. She came up with seven more stops against Colgate the next day.

In starting in all of Cornell’s five games this season thus far, Thomas has whitewashed her opponents twice and has earned a 0.53 goals against average.

Said senior forward Erica Olsen: “She’s been playing really well in games… and stepped up and saved us many times.”

Thomas is used to success and is a very strong addition to head coach Berhane Andeberhan’s squad.

Praise

Senior team captain Julie DeMichele said, “She [Thomas] really knows what she is doing… She is not a freshman on the field with all of her experience… I feel really comfortable playing in front of her.”

Thomas starred at Chaminade College Preparatory in California in high school and graduated summa cum laude.

Championship Performance

While collecting her three varsity letters, she managed to backstop the Ajax women’s club team that won the national championship at the 2000 Women’s Open.

Thomas’ next challenge will come tomorrow when the Red travel to face regional foe Binghamton.

Archived article by Donald Lee