Women's Soccer Heads to Binghamton

After a weekend that saw the women’s soccer team fall just short of its third win, the Red heads to Binghamton today to take on a very tough Bearcats squad.

The Red is currently stands at 2-1-2, having come up with a 1-1 tie in each of its last two games.

On Saturday, the Red could not muster a goal in two overtime sessions against an inspired Stony Brook club that was lucky to sneak out of Ithaca with a tie.

The offense has been led by junior co-captain Sarah Olsen who leads the team in goals (2), shots on goal (11), and total points (5).

Sophomore forward Alicia Doolittle has also provided offensive firepower for the booters, registering 7 shots in only 3 games played.

The defense has been led by backfielders Ellen Daly and Caitlin Ramsey, who have not allowed more than a single goal in any contest this season.

However, the biggest story for the Red, thus far, remains the brilliant play of goalkeeper Katie Thomas. Thomas tied a single game Cornell record with 17 saves against Stony Brook on Saturday. She also has registered two shutouts to date, and holds an immaculate .53 goals against average. And did we mention she’s only a freshmen?

Thomas’ effort for the record books this weekend, along with a seven save game against Colgate last Wednesday, did not go unnoticed throughout the league — Thomas was named the Ivy League Rookie of the Week yesterday for her recent excellence.

If Thomas is to cash in another shutout tomorrow at Binghamton, she will have to stop Binghamton’s fellow frosh-phenom Tatiana Mathlier.

The Bearcats star forward was BU’s Athlete of the Week last week for scoring two goals in as many games against American and Howard. To date, Mathlier has 5 goals in 6 games, two of which were game-winners.

Along with their first year star, Binghamton (5-4-1) boasts 10 returning starters from a squad that went 11-5-1.

The game will therefore be an interesting game for a Cornell team that is ready to mount a break-out effort as the heart of their schedule approaches.

“This will certainly be a tough game for us,” commented head coach Berhane Andeberhan,” but it will also be a useful test.”

Along with a challenging opponent, the Red women will face an additional opponent with which we are all familiar — the pressures of prelims week.

“One game a week is enough…we need some more recovery time,” said Andeberhan, “but the pressure of tests and papers has made this week particularly exhausting.”

The Red has proven itself when their backs have been to the wall and look to do the same tomorrow. A mix of offensive patience and defensive consistency will be called upon as the means to a victorious end

The Red springs for its third win, and maybe a little rest in return, at four o’clock today in Binghamton.

Archived article by Scott Jones