M. Tennis Travels To ECACs in Mass.

Today the Cornell men’s tennis team begins the weekend long ECAC Invitational at Harvard. The yearly tournament will bring together 16 teams including all Ivy League schools. Other participants include Penn St., Army, Rutgers, Navy, Colgate, Georgetown, Stony Brook and Marist.

The teams will play a single elimination format with the hosts ranked at no. 1 and Brown at no. 2. The Red is sixth among Ivy teams and at the no. 7 spot and will play no. 10 Dartmouth in the only intraconference match-up of the first round. If it advances, Cornell will either face the Bears or no. 15 Stony Brook.

The Red had much success in its first tournament of the fall when it hosted the Cornell Fall Outdoor Invitational winning the ‘C’ flight singles and ‘A’ and ‘B’ flight doubles.

Cornell did not find as much success at the Yale Invitational last weekend, although it was competitive in most flights. Sophomore Zach Gallin proved most victorious for the Red winning the ‘A’ flight singles consolation final. Junior Mike Laycob mirrored his accomplishment in the ‘C’ flight consolation final.

Going into Cambridge, Cornell has already seen a plethora of the competing teams. The Green came to the Yale Invitational, while Penn, Stony Brook, Colgate and Army visited East Hill for the Cornell Fall Outdoor Invitational. Yale attended both.

The ECAC Invitational will provide a different forum as teams will be competing head-to-head, rather than players competing on individual levels.

Moreover, it should give the Red an inside look at the talent within the Ivies for the spring.

Archived article by Amanda Angel