W. Soccer Looks to Break Recent Slump

The Cornell women’s soccer team (2-2-2, 1-0-0 Ivy) will resume its Ivy League schedule this Saturday against one of the top teams in the league, Penn. The Quakers, who sport a gaudy 5-1-1 (0-1-0 Ivy) record will certainly be the Red’s toughest opponent thus far, and a true litmus test.

The Penn attack is led by a dynamic freshman duo. Rookie forwards Rachelle Snyder and Katie Cross have combined for twelve of the team’s fifteen goals. Snyder leads the team with seven scores and fifteen points, while teammate Cross has dished out four assists in addition to her five goals. As a team, the Quakers have scored at least two goals in five of their seven games, including a six-goal outburst against Delaware earlier in the year.

In addition to its powerful offense, Penn also has one of the best netminders in the league. Sophomore Vanessa Scotto has posted four shutouts in six chances, as she began the season with 300 scoreless minutes. Scotto was named to SoccerAmerica.com’s Team of the Week for the week of Sept. 17-23. She has surrendered just two goals in nearly five-hundred minutes of action this season, boasting a sterling 0.37 goals against average.

Penn has been especially dangerous in the second half of games. The Quakers have scored eight goals after halftime, while limiting its opponents to just one.

Cornell enters the game coming off of a disappointing 2-0 loss to SUNY Binghamton. Although it controlled most of the action, the Red was unable to cash in on its numerous opportunities. In fact, after scoring three goals in the first game of the year, Cornell has managed to score just three goals since.

While the offense has sputtered, the defense and freshman goalie Katie Thomas continue to keep the team competitive. The Red has allowed just five goals in six games, including a thrilling, shutout overtime victory over Yale in the Ivy opener two weeks ago.

With a win over Penn, Cornell would match its win total of last season. However the offense must step up and take some pressure off the defense. Dynamitas, sophomore forwards Alicia Doolittle and Emily Knight, who have both been relatively quiet in the first few games, must find a way to contribute. Junior midfielder Caitlin Ramsey has been a disruptive force on the right side, but has managed to net just one goal this season.

Regardless of the final score, tomorrow’s contest will undoubtedly be a close contest. A win on the road against a tough league rival would do wonders for the Red’s psyche.

Kickoff is 2:30 p.m. tomorrow in Philadelphia, PA.

Archived article by Alex Ip