Men's Soccer Hosts Upstate Rival Oneonta

The men’s soccer team (3-3-1) hosts the Oneonta Red Dragons (6-5-1) today on Berman Field at 7 p.m. It has been an up and down season for Cornell thus far: after beating a strong Penn State team last Wednesday, 3-1, the Red dropped its third game of the season in a 1-0 loss to Harvard and remained winless in Ivy play.

Just which Cornell team will show up tonight?

If results against a common opponent is a accurate measuring stick for predictions, both Cornell and Oneonta have beaten Adelphi. However, the performances were quite different.

The Red Dragons defeated Adelphi at their home field, 1-0, on Sept. 28. The game winner was headed in by sophomore defender James Crofts off a freshman midfielder George Friedman direct kick in the 73rd minute. Cornell defeated Adelphi, 5-0, on Sept. 22 on Berman Field.

Looking only at the goal differentials of the games, it would seem that Red should be ready for a cakewalk. This would be a hasty conclusion if one examined these games closer.

“The Adelphi game was close through 70 minutes. They started to send everyone down the field and we capitalized on their positioning,” said head coach Bryan Scales.

The offense has had dry spells during the season, scoring only nine times in seven games.

The real mark of consistency thus far has been the Red’s defense and goalkeeping, which has given up less than one goal per game on average. Only five goals in seven games have found the net behind junior goalkeeper Doug Allan this year.

The defense will get to entertain a talented Red Dragon offense this evening under the lights.

Scales said that he is on the lookout for sophomore midfielder Jme Amoako and his forward classmate Antonio DiMuccio. The match-up of senior team captain and defender Liam Hoban and talented freshman defender Scott Palguta against the pair from Oneonta will be one of the key ones for which to watch.

“[Oneonta] is very organized and they will be set to battle,” added Scales.

The Red’s hot and cold offense, offset by the steady defense should produce some heart-pounding action in this all important New York state regional.

Archived article by Donald Lee