W. Tennis Earns Seventh at ECACs

Harvard certainly was greedy this weekend. Not only did it spoil Homecoming for all of the Cornell teams on East Hill, but it managed to beat the Red on the road as well.

The Crimson handed the netwomen a 7-0 loss Friday and gave up just one point all weekend en route to the ECAC Division I Championship crown in Princeton, N.J.

Despite losing late Friday afternoon to Harvard and again to Princeton Saturday morning, a solid 6-1 win against Brown in the opener was enough to give the Cornell women a seventh place finish overall at the tournament — an improvement on last fall’s eighth place result.

Freshman Erika Takeuchi described her first visit to the ECACs as “a lot of fun,” and praised the determination shown by the team throughout the weekend. She was especially positive about the match against the Bears, which saw the Red take five of six singles matches and two out of three in doubles.

“We already had a lead against [Brown] after winning the point in the doubles and then stayed mentally strong through our singles matches,” Takeuchi said. “We were all pretty determined to win, and it was a good start to the tournament.”

In addition to Takeuchi’s win at the no. 4 singles slot, juniors Suzanne Wright and Daniela DelPrete, sophomore Kate Sternberg and freshman Akane Kokubo all notched straight set singles victories. Wright and DelPrete and Kokubo and Sternberg also paired for the two doubles wins that secured the first point early on.

Points didn’t come as easily for the Red, however, once Harvard took the court. The eventual champion handed the Red seven straight losses, and Takeuchi was the only player to even win a set.

Saturday morning saw Cornell face a third Ivy foe — the Princeton Tigers. The Red put up a fight, but fatigue and good play from the Tigers proved too much for the women, with DelPrete securing the only singles win of the match and the black and orange sweeping the doubles.

The netters will play their final matches of the fall at the ITA Individual Championships Oct. 26-30, before they begin preparation for the 2002 spring season.

Archived article by Sarah Spain