Stickwomen Shoot for a Winning Ivy League Record

Coming off a heartbreaker of a loss last weekend against Harvard, the Cornell field hockey team plans to do battle against Brown Sunday at 12:00 p.m. on Schoellkopf Field.

Last weekend’s game was close since the opening face-off and the Red maintained it’s offensive pressure for a large part of the game. The constant attack in the first half led the Red to out-shoot the Crimson 5-2. Unfortunately for the Cornell, none of those five shots found their way to the back of the net.

It wasn’t until the second half that Harvard netted the only goal of the game. Harvard was able to come away from the pack with the ball and rifled it past sophomore goaltender, Kaitlin Tierney at the 56:33 mark. Although the Crimson out-shot the Red for the game 12-8, the Red displayed a balanced performance of exceptional stickhandling abilities, versatility, and speed.

The Red is coming into this weekend with an overall record of 7-5 and a .500 performance in the Ivy League (2-2). Meanwhile, Brown is fresh off an impressive 3-0 shutout against Holy Cross Wednesday night. With that win, the Bears have improved their record to 7-5 for the season. Brown currently tops the Red in the League standings with a 2-1 record against conference teams. It beat Columbia and last week’s competition, Harvard.

This game is of extreme importance in the battle for the Ivy League crown. Brown and the Cornell are evenly matched in a league where parity is the motto.

As long as the Red can put continuous offensive pressure on Brown coupled with timely defensive stops it should provide strong competition for the visitors. The Red will hope to contain the offensive fury of the Bears and record a crucial Ivy League win.

Archived article by Andrew Knauer