Red Hosts Quinnipiac

After falling just short of its first win in seven games this weekend against Brown, the women’s soccer team looks to finally bounce back today as it hosts visiting Quinnipiac.

The Red remains in a rut that has left it with a disappointing 2-5-3 overall and a 1-2-league record.

The lady booters could not break a 1-1 tie in two overtimes this weekend against Brown, having been left to wonder when and where the streak will end with a win.

Cornell remains a battered team, marred with injuries, and plagued by the exhaustion as many of its young players are making the transition to a higher level of competition.

Unfortunately, the Braves will not provide the Red with a welcome respite.

Quinnipiac is currently 8-4 overall and 6-1 in NEC league competition. It was the preseason favorite to take the competitive NEC this year, repeating as champions from last year. It has showed no signs of disappointing.

The Braves boast one of the region’s best players in junior Elisa Goncalves. She was the NEC’s Rookie of the Year her freshman year, then garnered NEC player of the year honors last season. She is arguably the finest women’s soccer player to ever don a Braves uniform.

Quinnipiac is coming of its second straight win against Central Connecticut last Sunday.

It is solid up front and across the backline. However, the Red holds the advantage at midfield behind the steady play of juniors Sarah Olsen and Cailin Rice.

The Red will need to figure out how to stop the Braves fierce offensive attack while generating its own offensive opportunities in order to steal a win today. Something it hasn’t done in the last few weeks.

The game starts at 7 p.m. on Berman Field.

Archived article by Scott Jones