Pair of W. Netters Go to ITAs

No team scores. No complicated point systems. No consolation matches. No second chances.

Beginning today and continuing through Tuesday of next week, some of the top netters from all over the eastern United States will face off in individual play at the 2001 women’s tennis ITA East Regional Championships, held at the University of Pennsylvania, in Philadelphia, Pa.

Representing the Red in both the singles and doubles draws will be junior co-captains Daniela DelPrete and Suzanne Wright. DelPrete and Wright are no strangers to tough competition, after leading the Red to a seventh place finish in last weekend’s ECAC Championships.

DelPrete enters the tournament, the last competition of the fall season, with some experience. She won her first round matches in both singles and doubles last year before being knocked out of the action in the second round. DelPrete will have the opportunity to put that experience to use today as she works to make it into later rounds, while for Wright it will be her first shot at surviving the difficult single elimination draw.

The two captains hit the courts today wearing the Cornell carnelian and white, but will compete for the hardware as individuals. Quality play should make the long months of training that come before the spring season go just a bit quicker.

Archived article by Sarah Spain