IthacAid XI Rocks in Bailey Hall

Cornell’s Tau Kappa Epsilon (TKE) and Chi Omega chapters sponsored the 11th annual IthacAid Benefit on Saturday evening at Bailey Hall.

Students, parents and faculty attended this night of song, dance and comedy benefiting The Alzheimer’s Association.

Created by TKE in 1991, IthacAid was conceived and implemented as a philanthropic project to benefit a charitable cause. The proceeds of past IthacAids have supported The Special Olympics, however, this year’s proceeds will benefit The Alzheimer’s Association in recognition of President Ronald Regan. A TKE alumnus, President Regan currently suffers from Alzheimers.

Though past IthacAids have seen audiences as large 1,500 persons and proceeds as high as $5,000, Saturday’s event hosted a smaller audience and generated an estimated $3,000. Nonetheless, Scott Mayer ’03, the vice president of TKE and IthacAid co-coordinator, said he was not necessarily disappointed with the event’s turn-out or with the proceeds that it generated.

“Considering that there was a [Cornell] hockey game, a Rusted Root concert at Ithaca College, and a World Series game that night, I was rather pleased [with the evening’s results],” he commented. “I think the concert, itself, was the best concert we have ever had. The quality and variety was superb … [The show] went on without a hitch.”

The program, which lasted roughly three hours, showcased a wide variety of acts including a cappella sets, hip-hop and Indian dance, improvisational acts and comedy.

“I thought it was wonderful … I was impressed with the talent,” said Rosa Bui, the mother of Chi Omega member Jojo Bui ’02.

“The groups really enjoyed performing a lot,” said Natalie Walleser ’03, Chi Omega’s co-coordinator of the event. “The concert was successful in that the audience really enjoyed the groups performing and we raised money for a very good cause.

The performances seemed to be well-received by the audience. “I thought it was great … I came out really enjoying it,” said Sam Dogra ’02 of the concert in general and the Cayuga’s Waiters performance in particular.

“The Skits-O-Phrenics were … witty and original as usual, and the “Thriller” performance [by the dance group, Shadows] was impressive,” said Joanna Eng ’05.

Headed by Mayer and Walleser, the planning and preparations for this year’s IthacAid began as early as April of this year and continued through the event itself.

“There are a lot of details that you wouldn’t really think of,” said Walleser. However, she addded that, “people are willing to help out because they are familiar with how the event works,” referring to the many years that Chi Omega and TKE have sponsored IthacAid together. Walleser concluded, “I was happy to actually see the performances after all of these months [of preparation],” while Mayer could not help but express his sentiments of “relief” at the evening’s conclusion.

Expressing their gratitude in the event’s program, Chi Omega, TKE and the Alzheimer’s Association thank all those that attended IthacAid and who supported the evening’s cause.

Archived article by Ellen Miller