N.J. a Black Hole for F. Hockey

It was a tough weekend in New Jersey for the field hockey team — after falling 8-0 at seventh-ranked Princeton on Saturday, it dropped a heart breaker to American on Sunday, losing 3-2 despite striking first 15 seconds into the game.

Both games were played at the Class of 1952 Stadium on the Princeton campus.

Coming off last week’s loss to Brown, Cornell (7-8, 2-4 Ivy) needed a win this week to stay in the Ivy League race. But it was not to be against the Tigers, as the Red fell despite some stellar play from sophomore goalie Kaitlin Tierney, who came away with 11 saves.

“She has been the backbone of the team all year. She is sturdy and has kept us in many of the one-goal games,” head coach Michelle Tambroni said.

The Tigers outshot the Red 14-0 in the first half, coming away with four goals.

In the second half, the Red tried to make a run, putting together five shots and five corners.

Stars for the Red included sophomore Ali Winsky, who made her debut for the on Saturday and played great once again on Sunday.

Ilvy Friebe, the nation’s leading scorer, did most of the damage for Princeton, recording a hat trick and an assist.

“We have to pick ourselves back up and get ready for our most important game against Dartmouth next week,” Tambroni added.

On Sunday, the fared better against American but nonetheless came up on the losing end.

Despite a quick goal by sophomore Clarissa Marisol to put the Red up early and then a late goal by her classmate Kimmy Gardner, the Red fell to the Eagles 3-2.

American converted on a penalty stroke in the last minutes to put the game away.

“We were definitely the better team against American. It’s very frustrating to lose another one-goal game, but we are hoping to take out that frustration on Dartmouth next week,” Tambroni said.

The Red will finish its season next Saturday in Hanover, N.H., against the Big Green. Cornell comes into the game riding a five-game losing streak.

“The seniors deserve to leave with a win, and for the younger players, I hope it will give us some momentum going into the off season,” Tambroni added.

Archived article by Josh Vlasto