Subterranean Style

It’s now November, and the time has come for all sun worshippers to put away the tanning oil and towels and realize that wind burn and snow glare are the only way to get a healthy glow until May. But this doesn’t mean that it’s time to put away t-shirts, tank tops, or denim jackets! Sure, the days of donning one of these vital basics solo are long gone, but the days of layering have arrived.

Layering is a great way to keep the heat that radiates from your body from escaping. Each layer traps the warmth, keeping it close, and creating your own little orb of coziness on chill autumn days. Beside the functional merits of layering, it is also a great way to play with color and texture in an effort to reconcile the idea of style with comfort.

Boys and girls alike can use their favorite tee as a base, throw on a light cardigan or pull-over, then a denim, leather, or corduroy jacket (preferably unlined to minimize bulk), and then top it off with a wool or gortex winter coat.

The best element to manipulate in this kind of ensemble is color. With so many basic pieces it’s easy to create a palette of colors that vibrate with style. Hot mixes this season include red, white, and blue (denim), as well as camel, black, and pink.

VITALS

Name: Arnold Seong

Class: 2004

College: Arts & Sciences

Major: English & Neurobiology

What one word describes your style?

Arnieme (like anime and Arnie).

Who or what do you look to for personal inspiration?

Connie Chung.

What’s your major source for style?

Connie Chung.

What’s hot?

Lewis McCleland (permission acquired).

What’s not?

Capri pants.

VITALS

Name: Chanee Franklin

Class: 2003

College: Law School

Major: Law

What one word describes your style?

Free.

The weather. I’m from California.

What’s your major source for style?

Traveling. When I travel I tend to see what’s being worn around. I’ve picked up some stuff from Europe and some stuff from Africa like my earrings that were made for me personally.

What’s hot?

Individualism.

What’s not?

Being a copycat and looking like everyone else. I think that’s stupid.

Archived article by Laura Thomas