Polls Open All Day For 2001 Elections

One year after the most contested election to decide the White House in U.S. history, Election Day 2001 will determine issues tied to communities across the nation.

Residents in the City of Ithaca will go to the polls today with voting locations open from 6 a.m. until 9 p.m.

Most students and members of the Cornell community who are registered in Tompkins County will vote for representatives on the city’s Common Council and the county’s Board of Representatives from their respective wards.

Many will have the opportunity to choose between two University students for the seat that Josh Glassetter ’01 vacated earlier in the year. Jamison Moore ’04, a Democrat, and Peter Mack ’03 of the East Hill Unity Party will be squaring off at the polls for one seat on the Common Council.

Both have expressed desire to improve area-Ithaca business along with other concerns for the community.

Incumbent Joan Spielholz ’73, East Hill Unity Party will try and keep the position she has had for the past three terms away from Democrat Carolyn Peterson who along with Moore was endorsed by the Ithaca Living Wage Coalition.

Another fourth district election residents in those areas will decide on is for the Board of Representatives. In this race, Derek Burrows ’03 with the Collegetown party will try and edge over Democrat incumbent Nancy Schuler. Burrows is hoping student involvement in the election process can boost his numbers today.

The fourth ward encompasses West Campus and many areas of Collegetown.

In the fifth ward which comprises much of the Cayuga Heights, Fall Creek and North Campus area, residents there will have William Korherr with the Fall Creek Progress and Development Party and Cornell researcher, Democrat Daniel Cogan go against each other for the fifth ward Board of Representatives seat.

Polling stations will be open at the #9 Fire Station at 309 College Ave. and Class of ’22 Hall on West Campus for fourth ward residents, and Robert Purcell Community Center is open in the fifth ward.

According to the Tompkins County Board of Elections, the following depicts the political affiliation statistics in the county as of April 1: 21,006 Democrats, 16,078 Republicans, 11,093 with no affiliation, 1,230 Independence Party, 684 Green Party, 430 Liberals, 366 Conservatives, 133 Right to Life Party and 74 Working Families Party.

Archived article by Sun Staff