On the Wire

For those of you, like myself, who missed the 53rd Prime Time Emmy Awards, don’t be disheartened. Yes, half the enjoyment of partaking in the viewing of these highly publicized annual awards is watching them with a bunch of friends in your living room, where you can readily comment on the behavior (and the fashion highlights) of delighted winners and disgruntled losers. Nevertheless, you can just as easily (and just as enjoyably) log onto www.eonline.com to view the play-by-play reports and pictures of Sunday night’s premiere. With distractions such as the final game of the World Series (which, might I add, produced an intensely disappointing outcome) and perhaps school-related obligations, watching the award show, and even remembering to tape it, can easily escape one’s mind. Thankfully, this Web site provides any television guru with all the information necessary to maintain status as king or queen of the remote.

Postponed twice due to the tragic events of September 11th, the 53rd Prime Time Emmys, hosted by controversial figure Ellen DeGeneres, finally proceeded on Sunday, November 4th at L.A.’s Shubert Theater. In spite of an altered venue, a downgraded dress code, and a heightened sense of security, it was claimed that they were well worth the wait. On E! Online’s Web site, the complete list of winners was posted, with The West Wing and The Sopranos taking the stage for numerous awards. Appropriately, the political series The West Wing, attaining eight awards over The Sopranos’ four, set a prelude for a patriotic night of tribute, honor, and dedication. As she collected her statuette for best supporting actress, Allison Janney claimed, “It occurs to me at this time … how proud I am to be on a show that celebrates the process of freedom that makes this country great.”

An online photo gallery of the evening’s fashionistas and fashion victims demonstrates the subdued but celebratory nature of the event. Displaying few bright colors and few outfits of a provocative nature, the stars were dressed for the evening following the examples of Sex in the City actress Kristen Davis and West Wing White House staffer Janel Moloney. Both actresses donned classic black dresses with minimal decoration designed by Badgley Mischka. Further photographs of a highly priced fashion extravaganza that nevertheless appropriately summoned a business attire feel can be readily accessed through E! Online. While the flashy glitz and glamour of the night were sorely missed, as half the purpose of watching the event is spotting fashion dos and don’ts, the muted dress of Hollywood’s forefront figures was highly respectful.

With a blow-by-blow report, a backstage critique, information on past coverage, pictures from the evening, and video clips, it is easy to interactively fast-forward to those parts of the night that most appeal to the viewer. In numerous video clips, viewable with Real Player or other multimedia agent, TV fanatics can find video shots of the stars with appropriate voiceovers. Perhaps Debra Messing, who plays Grace on the comedy-sitcom Will and Grace, probably should have resorted to online viewing, as she revealed to E! that she is “allergic to everything