Men's, Women's Polo Sweep Matches

Against relatively inexperienced Yale squads, the men’s and women’s polo teams enjoyed great success over the weekend, coming out victorious in both matches.

Led by high-scoring junior Audrey Robertson, the women won a decisive 16-3 victory Friday night at the Oxley Equestrian Center.

On Saturday night at Oxley, the men defeated a clearly overmatched Yale team by a score of 22-4. The match was over early as Cornell scored seven times in the opening chukker. Senior Ian Calder-Piedmonte led all scorers with a season-high 13 goals.

“We wanted to give bench players who don’t normally get to play a chance,” said head coach Dave Eldredge ’81 of his decision to sit most starters in the games against Yale.

Despite having slightly less experience than some other members of the team, the men and women in action for Cornell this weekend proved that they too possess tremendous ability and horsemanship, thus contributing to the polo teams’ considerable depth.

The men’s team was also in action Friday night as the team’s starters defeated Skidmore College 25-9 in Saratoga Springs. Senior Javier Alcover led the scoring with 11 goals for Cornell. Classmate Jeff Markle added eight tallies for the Red.

Both the men and women will be in action again this week, hosting the Bill Field Polo Invitational Wednesday through Sunday. Both squads open the tournament Wednesday night against Yale. Skidmore, the University of Connecticut, the University of Virginia and Texas A&M will also participate.

Archived article by Owen Bochner