Equestrian Ties Skidmore in Saratoga

The Cornell equestrian team had an impressive showing this past Saturday when it travelled to Skidmore. The Red, along with Skidmore and Morrisville, finished in a three-way tie for first place, all earning 32.4 points. Colgate came in fourth with 30.5 points followed by Hartwick (24.6), Cobleskill (23.7), Ithaca (22.8), Binghamton (18.9), Rensselaer (12.1) and Siena (5).

Cornell’s finish was a step up from last week’s performance at Hartwick, when the Red finished fourth overall. Head coach Chris Mitchell commented on the improvement.

“We had a solid performance from everyone,” he said.

The team had several standout performances, especially from junior Arianna Tunsky-Brashich and sophomore Jeannette Pettit. Tunsky-Brashich repeated her performance from the Hartwick show, placing first in both the novice flats and novice fences. Her efforts once again allowed her to capture the Reserve High Point Rider for the show.

Pettit took the top position in both the intermediate flats and fences. With her performance in the intermediate flat, Pettit became the first Red rider to qualify for the Regional championships which are months away. She is also now just three points shy of qualifying for the Regionals in intermediate fences.

The Red had several other riders finish first in their respective divisions. Sophomore Noelle Battle tied with Pettit for first place in the intermediate fences. Senior captain Zo