Swimmers Dive into Teagle

The men’s swimming team will play host to regional rival Binghamton today at 5 p.m. The engagement will take place at the Teagle hall pool.

The Red will be looking to improve on its effort against Ivy foe Penn. The squad dropped its opening meet in Philadelphia last Friday by a final count of 132-111.

Despite coming up on the short end of the score, several Cornellians put forth compelling efforts. Rookie diver Tony Schultz headlined the Red’s success capturing the top spot in the 1-meter and 3-meter events, tallying scores of 252.95 and 225.65, respectively.

Overall Cornell was victorious in six contests. Senior co-captain John Kenny who was a stalwart last season in the distance freestyle put forth a convincing effort in a winning outing in the 1000 freestyle. He finished with a time of 9:37:06.

Head coach Joe Lucia trumpeted the balance of his squad at the beginning of the season, and it seemed as though some of that praise was affirmed by Saturday’s performance.

Joining Kenny in the winner’s circle was rookie Doug Ernst, who emerged victorious in the 200 freestyle.

The Red will continue to showcase new talents this season, as it welcomes 12 new swimmers along with a pair of divers to the team. Already the newcomers have paid dividends as evidenced by the performances of Ernst and Schultz.

Today will be the first time the Red has faced Binghamton since the innagural meeting in the 1999-2000 season. Cornell emerged victorious in that meeting.

Overall the Red has done well when faced with SUNY school opponents from. Cornell holds an 8-1 mark against these schools, including an unblemished 6-0 record against Cortland.

Archived article by Gary Schueller