Grapplers Head South

The wrestling team will travel down to tobacco road for the Newell-Rubbermaid “Sharpie” Carolina Open on Saturday.

Last week the team won the Body Bar Systems Invitational on home turf. From this event, a couple of potential starters emerged.

Freshman Travis Lee had a solid performance in the 125-pound weight class, as did senior Clint Wattenberg who won his weight class of 184.

Sophomore Alejandro Alvarez had a strong debut at the 133-pound level. Classmate Tom Waldron duplicated the Alvarez showing with another second place finish at the 149-pound weight class.

Junior Gabe Webster had to hold off classmate Andy Tieben for the 157-pound victory. Sophomore Scott Roth was the runner-up in the 165-pound class. Senior co-captain Jim Stanec found the same result at the 174-pound weight class.

These performances led to two first place finishes and six runner-ups and propelled Cornell to the top in claiming the team tournament title.

The Sharpie Open will be the last formal wrestling event that head coach Rob Koll will have to use an evaluation point before picking his top ten wrestlers. On Friday Nov. 30 the Red will travel to sin city, Las Vegas, for the Cliff Keen Invitational. Koll said that he has to trim the roster to the top wrestler in each weight class (for a total of ten) for this large national tournament.

This can only mean one thing for the starters and those looking to overtake their teammates for the top spot. Perform or stay home.

Down in Chapel Hill, several strong teams are likely to show. The host team, North Carolina has been a traditionally powerful team. Koll is also making a return trip home to his alma mater, where he stared for the Tar Heel wrestling program in the late 1980’s.

The Tar Heels just don’t seem to be able to get enough of Koll as they are set to travel to Las Vegas, the next weekend for the Cliff Keen Invitational.

All of the Red wrestlers who had a strong performance last weekend, must repeat their performance if they desire to catch the flight out west. Surely, as Koll returns to his alma mater, he will have his troops fired up and will look to have a good showing in his old stopping grounds.

Archived article by Donald Lee